Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mexican Rice

A few nights ago I wanted to make some mexican rice to go with dinner. I've only attempted it once and I didn't love the recipe I used so I set out in search of a new recipe to try. I found a great recipe for Mexican Rice on Food.com. My husband hates mexican rice and always asks the server to leave it off of his plate when we go out. He loved this! I loved this! My kids loved this! I will be making this recipe again and again.

12 ounces tomatoes, fresh from the garden if you can get them - they need to be really ripe.
1 medium white onion
2 jalepenos, seeds removed and diced
2 cups long grain rice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 minced garlic cloves
1 can chicken broth (14.5 ounces)
1/2 cup V8 or tomato juice (or 1/4 c tomato sauce 1/4 c water)
1 1/2 t salt
juice from 1 lime

Preheat oven to 350*. Cut tomatoes and onion and place in food processor. Set aside 2 cups, discard the rest. Heat oil in a frying pan. While oil is heating place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rice with cold water for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes or until water rinses clean. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! When rice is rinsed add to oil in frying pan and stir 6-8 minutes until rice starts to brown slightly.



Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and jalepeno and stir until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato mixture, V8 and salt. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart oven safe dish with a tight fitting lid. Place dish on center rack of oven and bake 30 minutes, stirring well half way through. Remove from oven and squeeze lime over rice and stir well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other recipes you should love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Background